Monday, October 22, 2007

Back at it

I'm home, and recovering. It was a very successful show, though I had to seriously consider whipping out some constructive anger with one of our AV guys (which apparently works if used judiciously) at one point. I didn't eat quite as well as I'd hoped--too many sweets and no new restaurants tried. I did return to one place I hadn't been for a few years, and it was quite pleasant--a huge wood burning oven and a flight of white wines at the bar was very comforting.

For some reason, I was also quartered in a suite, a corner suite if you must know, and it was hard not to regret putting it to better use. Because I was in a suite, I was greeted personally by one of the hotel managers when I checked in, found some personalized Palace stationery awaiting me in my room, and when I opened the door to what I thought was the bellhop bringing up my suitcase (I was not allowed to claim my own bag) was actually another staffer bringing in a basket of snacks and drinks. Yes, I could get used to treatment like this. But I am so happy to be home!

I was pretty wiped out on Saturday, though M and I managed to run some errands, including a sub-$300 trip to Costco which doesn't happen very often and a spree at the library book sale. Sunday was much more pleasant--I felt some energy returning, started a knitting project, sat in the summer-like sun, read, and worked a little--uploading some videos which feels slightly creative so not quite so heinous as answering email or something. In fact, I'm uploading one now! My video editor recommended not doing anything computer related while uploading or capturing video--a stray keystroke could undo all the very time-consuming efforts. Instead, she recommends reading or knitting, which seems eminently wise to me.


I had a little scare this morning--my scrawny scarecrow cat Pook did not awaken this morning, not to the scent of a freshly opened can of tuna, not to my caress of her skinny ribs as she lay curled on her favorite chair. I stood there, heart pounding--she wasn't cold or stiff, she must've just passed away. I was torn with relief and sadness--at least her death wasn't painful and finally the question of *when* she would pass had been answered, but she has been my faithful if crotchety companion for lo these 18 years. It was 5:18 a.m., I'd have to wake M to help me bury her next to her arch-nemesis, Tom Cat, under the oak (thank god it had just rained), I'd miss my gym class, I'd be late to work and preoccupied with thinking of her…then I turned on the light and saw her breathing, touched her again and she awoke with a start, leaping down from her chair to bolt her dish of tuna. She lives to sleep another day.

Portrait of a Pook
Originally uploaded by suzipaw


At 10:10 AM, October 23, 2007, Blogger bren said...

I read your whole blog to Don (which I usually don't do) was so good.

At 5:21 PM, October 23, 2007, Blogger K2 said...

Scary. Your cat, I mean, not the snacks. Today I was handed a list of unix prompts with O'Reilly at the bottom of the page. I thought of you.


Post a Comment

<< Home