Monday, August 15, 2005

My Purse as an Illustration of My Life

I lost my favorite lipstick on my trip to Portland. I put it somewhere handy, so I could refresh it often and try to look pretty in public for the flight home--my suit pocket, maybe, or my purse. (Funny how much more makeup I wear these days--the youthful, fresh look just doesn't come as naturally to me anymore, sigh.) But I can't find the lipstick. It's not in any of my pockets. Not in a strange corner of my luggage or toiletry bag. I keep digging in my purse, thinking "I'll find it this time," because that's happened to me so often with other items that I thought lost. In my quest for my lipstick, I've discovered my small tape measure that I use for knitting--several times. I keep forgetting to pull it out and put it back in my knitting basket, and I'm sure when I go to look for it there, I won't remember that it's actually safely stowed in my purse. My purse isn't very big, but somehow good-sized objects find their way into folds and only reveal themselves after I'm convinced that they're lost and replaced them.

And so it is with my life, sorta--I keep looking for aspects of it that will put the finishing touches on things, but they remain in the dark recesses, waiting to surprise me for when I'm *not* looking for them.

*****

Words for the day, from "A Sea of Words," loaned to me by my friend Marsee, she of the loaning of "Master and Commander":

  • Ablation: The removal of any part of the body by surgery.
  • Acushla: A term of endearment, like "dear heart" or "my darling." Originally from Irish cuisle, "pulse of the heart."

    *****

    Have I said lately how happy I am that I'm married? It's just such a wonderful feeling to be so deeply connected to another person. Not that we weren't before, but we didn't have matching rings to bonk together with the phrase, "Wonder Twins, power activate!" like we do now. We were making dinner in the kitchen last night when "Cupid" by Sam Cooke started up on the boombox. We had to pause in our culinary chores to move into a clinch while M sang along with Sam. My life is far from perfect, but that moment was.

  • 3 Comments:

    At 7:40 AM, August 16, 2005, Blogger Anonymous Me said...

    I don't think it gets any better than that :-) Lucky you!

     
    At 9:58 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger R. B. Patrascu said...

    I just read this entry to Dan (but not from a chaise lounge), and he said, "Hmmm. We've never tried Wonder Twin Powers Activate. I wonder what would happen if we did?!" We'll keep you posted...

     
    At 7:44 AM, August 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Have you seen Million Dollar Baby? Acushla is what Clint Eastwood's character puts on Hilary's Silky Boxing bathrobe thing and he won't tell her what it means till the end.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home