Sunday, October 28, 2007

Happy 4th Anniversary, Pointy Pals

A shout-out to my writers group gal pals, Rebecca and Julia--this month marks four years of getting together to write, talk about writing (and maybe other things too), and writerly field trips. They've been an incredibly important part of my life, and have been so supportive in my creative pursuits, even when the pursuit has slowed to a crawl, like now. But as we sat in the Apple Box yesterday and Julia challenged us to do more (her time at Viable Paradise was most inspiring, I'm so glad), I felt much uplifted as well. I've been counting this blog as my creative writing project for years now, the occasional unfinished poem or essay notwithstanding, and it's time to get back on the writing wagon and put some fictional words together. We resolved to spend more time just writing together; my personal resolution was to write on a creative project when with the Pointy Pals, not work on work stuff, which was what I had started to do. How sad, eh? And I'm forming a new project. They encouraged me to keep going on the YA story I had started lo these many years ago, but my heart's not in it. At this point, all I know is that it will be in the first person. Wish me luck.

After writers group meeting yesterday, I stopped by Comp USA and ponied up for a new cheap DVD player. Our incredibly cheap one had crapped out after only a few months. I hate living in a disposable society. We'd been watching movies on M's laptop, and it was very unsatisfying. I also took a deep breath and bought an external hard drive, something I should have done years ago. I'm going to transfer all of my personal stuff to it from my work laptop, which is the Right Thing to Do. And I got one that's big enough to store movies, when I get to them, which should be soon. M's first in line for a new machine since his is beginning to fritz out regularly (can't you just see it crashing during the Bar Exam or something?), but I think it's also time for me to get my own laptop, too. I think it will help with the work/life balance boundaries.

We've had absolutely beautiful weather lately. I should go absorb some sunshine while I still can…

3 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, October 28, 2007, Blogger Michelle said...

Good for you for committing yourself to your writing! Putting pen to paper has been on my to do list pretty much since Fuller's birth, but now that I'm blogging I seem to feel a bit less guilt about the whole thing.

 
At 7:36 PM, October 28, 2007, Blogger R. B. Patrascu said...

Thanks so much for the shout out! I've already started to write daily (1 day so far, since yesterday). I'm looking forward to seeing what you will create, pointy pal!

 
At 9:36 AM, November 04, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Ditto that--thanks for the shout out and looking forward to what you'll be creating. Pointies bring teh awesome!

:)

Julia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home