Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!

It was a stressful work week trying to get everything wrapped up and in a place where I could feel comfortable not checking email much during our time off, but I made it. As if I had a choice! Time passes and Christmas arrives and there it is.

We did have some fun at work--our department had a "light off" competition between the teams, which at first I thought would be something to do with saving energy but turned out to be quite the opposite. Each group decorated their area of the office, mostly with lights, and then our graphic design department came over to judge who won. And my team did! It was great fun, and a nice way to take a breather here and there during the day. We turned one of the desks into Santa's, and one of my coworkers and I created the fireplace, which I think turned out particularly well. So many uses for sparkly red tulle!

*****



On the way home from SFO
Originally uploaded by suzipaw
Murray's sister Christin and her boyfriend Scott arrived on Thursday afternoon, and we've been having a jolly time. We've had a break in the rain, which has been very welcome--we had a lovely view of the City on the way home from SFO.

Yesterday we spent the afternoon at Safari West which was so fun! Well, seeing cheetahs and the larger animals like rhinos in small enclosures is a little depressing, but most of the creatures have a fair amount of space to roam around. We toured the aviaries first, then took a jeep tour around the 400 acres--lots of giraffes, zebras, varieties of boks, cranes, wildebeests. It was funny seeing so many exotic animals wandering our familiar oak studded hills.



I now officially covet Watusi cattle, Victoria crowned pigeons, cranes of every feather, and perhaps a Red River hog or two. In the gift shop, M pointed out porcupine quills to me, so I purchased two, perfect closures for my cocoon scarf! In the gift shop, M pointed out porcupine quills to me, so I purchased two, perfect closures for my cocoon scarf!

More photos on Flickr.

*****

We'll open presents today, maybe see a movie. M has a prime rib dinner planned. Tomorrow I think we'll have lunch at Rustic, the restaurant at the new Coppola vineyard. It's so nice taking a break from the everyday routine!

2 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, December 27, 2010, Blogger bren said...

Congrats on your 'lights on' win. Fun break from routine. po

 
At 4:04 AM, January 03, 2011, Blogger K2 said...

The Watusi cattle are so handsome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home