Sunday, February 22, 2015

San Jose -n- Stuff

I spent much of last week in San Jose for a conference.  I'm relieved to say it was successful overall and that I had a good time to boot. 

I hosted a women's meetup on Wednesday evening. That went well. I also hosted some networking at tables at lunch the following two days that went very well, even better than usual, some interesting discussions. Those kinds of activities are very gratifying for me.


I got up early the next morning and went for a run with some of my colleagues as part of one of the conference activities. I admit, I didn't get very far, but it was mostly the doing that made me happy. That day was my 15th anniversary of being hired at O'Reilly. It's amazing how time flies, and how things change...yet also remain familiar. I don't take my work for granted and am really grateful that the last few years in particular have become so rewarding for me. 


The view from my room at the Hilton.



The Presidents Day weekend was before the San Jose trip and M and I were both pleasantly surprised at how productive we were with our various projects around the house. I think the good weather and lengthening days help.

I got together with friends Rachel and Katrin earlier this month. We had a fine time chatting as usual. Katch had recently been to New Mexico and brought back some lovely hand-spun yarn that she passed on to me. It felts up beautifully.

 

I'm enjoying having a knitted project. Though I'm done with the knitting part and now have to find a fun lining and zipper. I have most of the blue yarn left so need to think of a new project to start soon.

*****

Another wonderful experience to report thanks to a gift: Mom and Don couldn't use their season tickets, so today M and I went to the City to hear some chamber music at Davies Symphony Hall. It was a beautiful day, crystal blue sky, warm. We had a pleasant lunch at Absinthe then wandered few a few blocks of Hayes Valley before hearing the music.  It was our first time there and we really enjoyed it.

*****

While I was in San Jose I shopped at Muji, a petit, pared down Japanese department store. I bought a couple of notebooks and used one to start a happiness journal - every day I write down one thing that happened that day that made me happy. As I go through the day, it's nice to think about what I'll choose to jot down in the notebook. So far I mostly have a hard time picking just one or two things to record. I think that's a pretty good sign.

3 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, February 24, 2015, Blogger Brenda said...

Congratulations on your 15 years at O'Reilly. And I'm so proud to see you in front of your women's group. Glad that you are enjoying your leadership roles.

Arna's very pleased with her knitted hat and gave me some of her cards to give to you.

 
At 12:34 PM, February 24, 2015, Blogger Brenda said...

It's fun to see your group 'hamming' it up!!

 
At 5:13 PM, February 24, 2015, Blogger Kamala! said...

I really like the happiness journal thing. I don't comment often, but I always read and enjoy your blog-I have it bookmarked. And also congrats on your 15 years- I feel that you went through kind of a low point, but that you've been empowered by your out reach to women-very impressive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home