Wednesday, December 29, 2004

I Love My "Staycation"

The year and day are winding down, rain pouring from the invisible sky. We're supposed to have a real storm coming in tonight. It's been dark and damp for days now, just like it's supposed to be this time of year. Thank god for the intense emerald that is the new grass, it's the only bright spot I've got.

Catching up...

Christmas was lovely and mellow. Mom and stepdad came down on Friday, and my brother and his family came over for crepes on Christmas morning. My cold was still pretty bad, which usually makes it hard for me to socialize, but I was so glad to have so many people filling our little home. The crepes came out well, my niece modeled her new dress for the spring dance and borrowed some rhinestones, and my nephew was a dear beyond his years. I had knitted him a stocking cap for Xmas, and it was too large, so it got a few laughs when he tried it on. But bless him, he stuck with it--every time I looked over at him, he had the hat on in a different way, trying to work out a style. And he did, wearing the cap throughout his visit, which I thought was very sweet.

After my brother's family left, the four of us went on a walk around a nearby lake. We were surprised at how many people were out and about on Christmas. Mom did pretty well with her one crutch, but it was a low speed cruise. Back home, we played Scrabble and had a nice dinner, and that was Christmas 2004.

Christmas Day at Lake Ralphine
Originally uploaded by suzipaw.


Mom left on Sunday, and M's brother arrived on Monday. In between, the dust from the bathroom remodel had engulfed our bedroom, exacerbating my cold, so we decided to clean up in a big way. Curtains and bedding down to the bedskirt washed, every nook and cranny including the bed frame vacuumed, windows cleaned and thrown open to the fresh if damp air. It exhausted me, but I slept so much better that night, and it felt like the right thing to do to prepare for the new year. Now if I could just train myself to repeat that act with each room in the house on a regular basis...

M's brother's visit was nice. I was glad for M, he looks up to and loves his brother so much, and I knew it meant a lot that he was here for a few nights. We went to a sports bar to watch Monday night football, watched movies another evening, they shot pool and walked the dog. His visit contributed to the feeling that this really is a special holiday.

Funny how my daily cycle changes when work is not a factor. I've been staying up later and sleeping in later. Though that part of my illness when I was waking up at 1:00 a.m. and coughing and blowing my nose for a few wretched hours every night may also be playing a part. I also enjoy the cycle of homekeeping after having guests, slowly returning our little pad back to its "private" state. We made a lot of progress on the bathroom today, installing the shower, putting up the first coat of paint, and prepping the floor for tiling. I know I'd have a hard time with a project of this size while working.

One other thing happened: while I think I'm not a superstitious person, of course I am. I consult the Magic 8Ball regularly, I buy lottery tickets, I read my horoscope religiously every Thursday, and I wear a horseshoe necklace. Well, I did until two days ago. I joined the chain around my neck over two years ago, and there it remained. Not that I thought it would bring me luck, but rather to remind me just how fortunate I am. But I was feeling a little weird about it lately. I didn't want to take it off--it would be tempting fate at the least--but I wasn't sure I wanted to wear it in the wedding. I have two other nice pieces in the running, depending on the neckline. So the other night I was removing the many layers swaddling my torso against the chill, and the chain broke. I've been wandering around horseshoe-free for the last few days, and so far have avoided lightning and misfortunes. Again, perhaps a sign that it's a new year, time to do (or wear) things a little differently.

1 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, December 30, 2004, Blogger R. B. Patrascu said...

It does sound like maybe the horseshoe era has come to a natural (and ok, safe, non-disastrous)end. I think you'll be okay. I think great changes are ahead for you! But I understand the superstition thing. I once had a fear that when I finished writing the last page in a journal, I would die. I turned the fear into a short story idea, but then never wrote the story. I think I was afraid if I wrote the story, I would die. Heck. Maybe I'm just afraid I'm going to die. Never mind, then. I'm not superstitious. I'm morbid. You, on the other hand, are fine. Fine. And we love you even if you aren't wearing the horseshoe necklace. And when you win the lottery, I'll be right there, celebrating with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home