Monday, May 09, 2005

"Is this the end of the world?"

Main Street, Wilbur
Originally uploaded by suzipaw.
There I was, minding my own business, sipping my latte and stuffing a plain cake doughnut into my aptly-named cakehole while enjoying the traffic along Highway 2. I saw his dog first, casually sniffing the grass near my feet yet perfectly attuned to possibility that doughnut crumbs could hit the dirt at any moment. The small, slightly twitchy, hunterly dressed man approached me, rambled about his dog a bit, asked if I was from around here, noted that he was planning on stalking the wily turkeys but changed his mind upon learning of rattlesnakes roaming the land. And that's when his asked his question. I had to pause--was it a physical or metaphysical query?

No, Wilbur is certainly not the end of the world, but it is a lovely place to wake up in. Lots of robins, swallows, mourning doves all atwittering in the gray morning light. Not many people sounds, though I could occasionally hear my motel neighbors in the room two doors down as if they were right next door.

I had a wonderful time with Grandma. We went out to lunch at the Corner Cafe, where we had a celebrity sighting: Deb Copenhaver, who had busted broncs all the way to Madison Square Garden in his prime. We grocery shopped at Sandy's, home of the plain cake doughnuts which I treat myself to when I visit (all other baked goods are glazed, even the croissants and cheese pastries) and lattes. We talked about the essentials: family, food, and flowers. We even touched on politics a bit. Now I know where I get the especially soft spot for animals--Grandma mentioned that she was glad when cars and tractors supplanted horses, because many people overworked and abused them so much. I was recognized by a second cousin while dining in one of the three restaurants in town. She pointed out another cousin that I had never met. It's a little disconcerting to have so much family that are strangers.

With Grandma in Wilbur

The visit went too quickly. Thank goodness the flights were uneventful there and back. And though the traveling sucked up a good part of my time, I was glad for a chance to work on my scarf and start "A Very Long Engagement."

Rex and the drain
When I came home, I felt disoriented, and like I hadn't really been gone. It had rained quite a bit, so it was just a soggy, dreary atmosphere. M and I went out for Japanese, which helped a bit. But I'm feeling behind--it was a 12-hour work day today, and there are lots more long ones ahead.


Post a Comment

<< Home