Wednesday, November 16, 2005

"Blah"g

Too much working lately. I have more to do after I post this blog, even though it's my day off. A new gal will be starting in our department next month, like a human Christmas gift, so I'm just hanging on til then. Barely.

It's been a good last few days:
- M can begin to reintroduce fiber into his diet.
- While still leery of merging, I actually drove on the freeway in M's truck yesterday--yeah, it was at 5:30 in the morning, but hey, I did it. The Wonder Wagon was officially totaled on Monday, and I hope to have insurance check in hand on Friday when I go to test drive an enormous golden Cadillac Sedan deVille.
- I returned to the gym this week and don't feel any physical traces of the accident. I am sore today, however--yesterday's muscle conditioning teacher cackled when she saw me come into class and asked if I had my Advil handy. But it feels good to be gymming again.
- M and I went to a friend's potluck in Berkeley on Sunday afternoon. The antibiotics made him very tired so we couldn't stay long, but it was so good to spend time with friends and their families. And it was extra special attending a social event with my husband on a weekend--that's rarely happened in the last six years.
On the more creative side, I finished reading Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant (pretty good, not spectacular) and listening to HMS Surprise (wonderful!). Getting ready to embark into The Kiterunner thanks to Mom and The Mauritius Command thanks to Marsee. I also started knitting this scarf in the company meeting (I'm such a rebel!) yesterday:and finished it this morning. M's comment: "That is for your niece, right?" Accompanied by a sort of snort. Apparently he didn't think it was right for me. I think it's pretty darn nice, don't you? However, if you'd like it, let me know and I'll send it to you. (It's a keyhole style, so one end goes through a hole in the other end.) Spouse, you are *not* eligible to take part in this offer.

*****

On related creative note, overall I have been feeling craft bereft lately. When we bought our house five years ago, I was so excited about having my own craft room. A whole room just for me and my hands and imagination! And I've crammed it full of all kinds of potential--yarn for felting and knitting, beads, paper crafts, hole punches, patterned scissors, buttons, plastic and brass shapes, task lighting, a big window, two big tables, art on the walls, photo transfer equipment, a sewing machine. After all, I've always been a big crafter. I've embroidered, fabric painted, and collaged things since forever.

But except for knitting (well, and um, blogging), I haven't really created much lately. And I don't even knit in the craft room. It doubled as a cat haven from Rex when the stork first brought him, and Veronica's never left, her copious black fur now impregnates every nook in that room. The tables are unusable, piled with papers and craft to-dos and photos and cat hair. I don't go in there much, except to start another pile of crap.

But really, what's preventing me from stringing a necklace or starting in on handmade holiday cards? Inspiration has felt in short supply. And maybe it's partly what's been happening to Julia--'dulthood responsibilities are simply weighting/wearing me down.

I've resolved to clean out the craft room during the Christmas vacation (that's twice I've written "Christmas" now--no war on Christmas 'round here). Maybe my craft Muse has just been waiting for a catfurfree place to rest her tired dogs.

*****

Oak and dog
Another beautiful day for a dog walk.

2 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, November 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh nooooooo! Say I haven't infected you with my pathetic adulthood issues. Eeek! Sorry....

(And I think the scarf is fabbo...what's not to like about fuzzy red yarnage? Come on, M, get with the knitty program!)

:)

 
At 11:00 PM, November 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really sorry to read about all the difficulties, but consider that both you and M have cheated death! How many lives do you have left?

Write my dear friend, write, and when you do remember me and how pathetic that I couldn't even attend my own writer's group!

I have never cheated death - well, there was that one time at the Young Communist League social with Tola and a liter of Vodka - but am sooooooooooo inspired to go out and have a life changing experience like, oh say, moving to Ireland ...

I'll give you a ring soon to tell you all about it.

Glad you are safe and sound, but a Cadillac? Isn't that a bit, well, overcompensating? I mean, sure you'll be safe in an accident surrounded by all the metal and air bags, but it will be the gas prices that kill you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home