Saturday, May 13, 2006

Hairy Men in Ukiah Have No Qualms About Dancing Solo

That's the conclusion I reached Thursday evening as M and I took in the music scene at the Ukiah Brewing Company. His best friend's brother's band, Delta Nove, plays a most interesting mix of afro-samba-funk dance music with a few heavy metal power chords and a touch of Oingo thrown in for good measure. I had heard their CD and was unimpressed, but their live performance was excellent (and I found out later the recording was several years old). Almost everyone in the Brewery was up and dancing--even we were swaying--and it was abundantly obvious that M was the only clean-cut male there. Definitely a flashback to those heady, hirsute days of 1976 for me, aided by copious references to smoking pot, musical and practical. I hope they'll come back to our area soon.

Another harkening back to my youth--we were up til 2:00 a.m. that night! Wow, I am one wild woman.

*****

Speaking of wild life, as I was rummaging around in the fridge yesterday, preparing an offering to the Flying Spaghetti Monster (we made our own fettucine yesterday, turned out great!) I noticed a green reptilian head poking out from the grill at the foot of the fridge. I admit, I freaked, and while I didn't scream, I did call quite loudly and frantically for M, who was prepping his tackle box in the garage. It slipped out onto the kitchen floor and turned out to be a fairly large lizard--eight inches of body and quite healthy looking, handsome even in, retropect. After a bit of herding (Rex was no help whatsoever), M managed to sweep it out onto the deck, where it promptly scuttled back into the house--well, we do have lots of spiders and other creatures, I'm sure it was quite happy indoors--we chased it back out and now it's in the yard somewhere. Had it made its way inside while small and spent weeks, even months, under the fridge? I wondered uneasily. M thinks he just snuck in that day. We have been leaving the doors open all day every day...but still. Thank FSM it didn't appear while we had company.

*****

M and Rex are off fishing on a friend's swanky new boat, and now I'm off to meet Julia for writing time. Wonder if anything will come out--I've been feeling distinctly uncreative these days. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Anonymous Me said...

The dancing reminded me of living in Eugene, Oregon. If there was music, even piped in music in a restaurant, somebody would be dancing. I loved it! And all the men were hairy. . . . Too many of the eschewed deodorant, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home