Monday, January 07, 2008

Here's What I Did Tonight

The Pointy Pals dared me to write something tonight at our meeting, and so here it is:

Like singing, the rain comes

And out come the frogs, singing along, madly, furiously
Like ants that can carry 20 times their own body weight
The frogs sing out far beyond the range of
The coloratura, the foamy haired rock star, the siren
Far outside of their pebble size the frogs belt it out
Invisible to me as I squat and squint for them at the roots
Anchoring the brown-gold ghosts of tall grasses now
Soaked to the core by the mellifluous alluvium engine

They laugh at me, the frogs, haha, hear us roar!
We are the lions of the drenched and puddled plains
The hyenas circling to strike after all others have fled to shelter
Our song is the tiger that has lain in wait lo this long dry season
And the rain, our prey, has set our voices free to run!

But then they sense me too close
And like rain drizzling to a halt, the frogsong ends
Sans crescendo or vamp
While the rain sings on
One half of the round waiting waiting
For the other half to join in again


When I took Rex for a walk yesterday, the frogs were glorious. I wish I had had a tape recorder, or whatever newfangled digital recording device the kids are using these days.

*****

It was a pretty good day at work today, just wanted you to know.

8 Comments:

At 6:28 AM, January 08, 2008, Blogger R. B. Patrascu said...

I love it!
Hmm. Maybe we need to dare you more often? Thanks for writing it and sharing it.

 
At 5:44 PM, January 08, 2008, Blogger Kamala! said...

Really loved the poem! How long does it take you to write something like that? Also the fused glass class sounds great-I love fused glass.

 
At 8:52 AM, January 09, 2008, Blogger bren said...

Hooray for the Pointy Pals! My favorite lines:
They laugh at me, the frogs, haha, hear us roar!
We are the lions of the drenched and puddled plains

 
At 9:06 AM, January 09, 2008, Blogger suzanne said...

It took me about an hour. But a poem is never completely done!

 
At 4:06 PM, January 09, 2008, Blogger Mark said...

Aunt Suzi,
It didn't have a rhythm. Aren't poems suppose to rhyme?
Ryan

 
At 4:49 PM, January 09, 2008, Blogger suzanne said...

Hey Ry, Up until about 100 years ago, many poems written in English rhymed. (Although blank verse, which started hundreds of years ago, didn't rhyme--it had a meter.) Nowadays, not nearly as many poems rhyme. It's very hard to write a good poem that rhymes.

 
At 5:15 PM, January 09, 2008, Blogger Mark said...

what's a meter?
ryan

what's a blank verse?
glo

 
At 10:53 AM, January 13, 2008, Blogger suzanne said...

Wikipedia has a good overview of all different kinds of poetry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poetry check it out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home