Monday, December 03, 2007

Personas/Perception

Thanks to a friend at work, I've been mucking around with Simpsons avatars. I made one for me and one for M. But I'm so curious to know if I made my avatar close to how others see me. I of course had the hardest time with the body type. I wonder how others would make me! I asked M to do it, but he snorted and grumbled something about homework taking precedence, go figure (though I note you have plenty of time for Glenn Greenwald! Hrrrumph.) I will also say that the tech behind creating the avatars it pretty amazing.

And on a grander scale, how do people *perceive* me? I realize that I probably appear very different depending on whom I'm with, and I used to have a real issue with that when I first starting on my so-called career. I didn't want to have a work-self and an off-duty self. And I think I still do, despite my best efforts to the contrary. I have boundaries, and I appreciate them in other people, so maybe that encourages the divisions in my life.


Enough reflection--time to get back to the felting projects--photos of that to come.

5 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, December 04, 2007, Blogger Kamala! said...

I had noticed your avatar next to your flickrs posts and thought it looked jut like you. Murray's is also quite lifelike. I think because of what I do (teach preschool), my work and home persona are the same, but when I worked at a bank, I had two different appearances.

 
At 5:45 AM, December 07, 2007, Blogger elm said...

The avatar (new word for me) Murray is definitely not my image of Murray. So where do you find out more about the avatar?

 
At 5:49 PM, December 07, 2007, Blogger Kamala! said...

An avatar is a different image of something or someone. I actually learned about it in World Studies, because Buddha has many avatars. It's current usage tends to be computer related-people choose different avatars or personas for video games.

 
At 5:51 PM, December 07, 2007, Blogger Kamala! said...

Sorry about the incorrect apostrophe.

 
At 6:15 PM, December 10, 2007, Blogger Anonymous Me said...

I'm in a new work environment where there is pressure to have a certain image. I'm struggling to find a way to present myself "professionally" and still look like (and feel like) me. And wear comfortable shoes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home