Saturday, May 31, 2008

Waiting for Summer

End of month smorgasblog:

It's the last day of May and after that crazy heatwave I just sort of expected summer to launch, but it's been overcast and cool for days. I could really use a little sunshine. I'm also a little worried about the party next weekend--since our house is so small, we're counting on most of the guests to be out of doors, and I hope they won't be uncomfortable. I may need a plan B for that sundress I'm planning to wear.

I made plans to visit my grandma at the end of June. (That reminds me, I need to call the motel…) I'm really excited about the trip. I'm flying out of our local airport, something I haven't done for years, mostly because it was closed for quite a while after 9/11, but I also because that airport was involved in one of the worst flights I've ever had, though in fairness it wasn't just the flight. (Having to land in SFO after all because of fog after it was too late to catch the shuttle, finding out that the bags hadn't come with us from San Diego, then running out of gas in the van we'd all banded together to hire on the highway home at 2:00 a.m. cuz the driver was new and didn't know how to read the gas gauge…That was a special trip, I tell ya. But I'm sure that won't ever happen again!)

While trolling Cute Overload at work (it was the end of a very long day, OK, and I really needed a break) yesterday, I came across a cartoon I'd been wanting to see for a long time:



It's notable for me because it makes me cry. Every time. Even just thinking about it makes me cry. I didn't get to watch the whole thing in while at work, but recalling the scene where the mom hands the dog the cookie as I walked over to another office, my eyes started welling up. I made M watch it with me last night before bed and I just wept. And laughed too. And I did both again just now while embedding the video. I'm a little humiliated that my emotions can be so manipulated by a cartoon…but maybe I need a cry or two. The only bummer is that M's graduation dinner is tonight, and redness and puffiness must be avoided at all costs. (Did I tell you I'm very pleased with the new dress I purchased for the occasion last weekend? I'm curious to see how his classmates will interpret "semi-formal.")

Voila, les sandals:



My uncle sent some photos he came across while visiting grandma last weekend, here's one of my favs, of me with my big brother:



And now, I really should get a little work done. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow, and I don't want to be stuck inside.

4 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, May 31, 2008, Blogger Michelle said...

I love those shoes! Hope the weather cooperates.

 
At 9:30 AM, June 01, 2008, Blogger bren said...

I love the pic of you and your big brother!

 
At 9:51 AM, June 01, 2008, Blogger LeLloyd said...

The Russian Olive tree still stands, not so sure about the swing.

 
At 11:18 AM, June 01, 2008, Blogger Kamala! said...

Well, I was worried that I would cry, but I managed to hold it together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home