Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Back and Away Again


with Grandma
Originally uploaded by suzipaw
It was a lovely visit with Grandma. Though as usual time flew and we didn't have as much time as I would have liked to catch up, we made the most of it.

Extra travel bonus: As I drove into Wilbur late Saturday night, I detected an alien skyline. What could be happening? As it turned out, the dregs of Wild Goose Bill Days (a celebration sprung from an early Wilbur citizen plugging another over a woman), petering out in a spin of carousel lights and cotton candy. Though I missed the small town activities, the next day I did lay eyes on a sight that Grandma had also been impressed by: the Old World oxen team. They were absolutely enormous, complacently masticating away on their hay while hardly seeming to register the existence of their keepers: a tiny wiry woman, two silent border collies that couldn't nip higher than their bovine hocks, and barky little sorrel mutt remarkably like Rex but for the fur. Their beefy bulk made it abundantly clear how the West was won.

The trip home was without incident, restoring my faith in our small town airport system. Oh, and I did consume my quota of plain cake doughnuts while in Wilbur.

I'm off tomorrow at 6:00 a.m. for San Jose, back Thursday night. It's after 10:00 p.m. and I haven't packed yet, unheard of for me. And then off again Friday for Memorial Day weekend on the Coast. That's about the to closest edge I get. Woo!

3 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, May 20, 2009, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm glad your flights finally worked out to get you to Wilbur. Thanks for the update on life in Wilbur, I've always wondered what Wild Goose Bill days are like.

 
At 7:54 AM, May 21, 2009, Blogger bren said...

Beulah is looking great for her 99 years.

 
At 10:09 PM, March 07, 2010, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home