Monday, January 18, 2010

Rain

It really is beautiful, though we've only seen blue skies once in the past three or more weeks. At least something is coming of all the gray, and it's a lot of something today. We managed to get yard work done ahead of the storm on Saturday, and I'm still a bit ache-y, but so glad we didn't procrastinate yet again. This is a little earlier than I usually prune the roses and I'm hoping that's a good thing. I really whacked the Sterling Silver, clearing out the center especially so the canes will get more air circulation--I hope it wasn't too much. It's so hard for me to cut away all those potential blooms. M really had to encourage/coach me along. I bought some rooting hormone yesterday, hoping to start two rose bushes from the Mr. Lincoln rootstock. From the few canes I've let go in seasons past, the bush seems to be very vigorous and produces arching sprays of beautiful, small blood-red roses. They would be nice to plant up against the chain link fence in the back, softening that a bit.

Today, M and I took care of some interior cleaning and home decorating projects. We didn't get quite as far as I'd hoped, but I also didn't just crawl back into bed mid-morning, which so tempting as the rain drummed down harder. I think I have enough cocoa in the cupboard for hot chocolate. I'm really grateful the office was closed today.

Last night, we watched Man on Wire and really enjoyed it. It made me sad to see the twin towers, though--they were still being finished when the crazy wire-walking between them plot was hatched and executed.

Here are some pictures from last October that I've been meaning to post (yes, that's Alyssa in the middle pic to the left):



2 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, January 20, 2010, Blogger elm said...

Beautiful pictures our left coast family!

 
At 7:35 AM, January 29, 2010, Blogger bren said...

Thanks for the Man on the Wire suggestion. We watched it last night and I was so glad that I knew he lived through the challenge. Both Don and I had goosepimples when he first stepped on the wire.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home