Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dreaming


More backyard
Originally uploaded by suzipaw
It's Saturday morning in spring, probably my favorite regularly occurring time. I think ahead happily (perhaps because I'm a Virgo) to my chores--sweeping the kitchen floor, opening the house to the clear air once it warms a little, laundry, clearing the accumulation on my craft room table. I've already watered the plants, tended the furry children, and balanced my checkbook. We're toying with the idea of clearing out the side yards today--not sure how they've accumulated so much crap, but there it is. I don't think M will have to try very hard to talk me out of my hare-brained idea of creating some sort of art with the leftover wine-barrel-planter hoops that have sat for a good year now. What do to with the slabs of granite leftover from the kitchen re-do? One would make a fine (long) shelf, but the other pieces are rough-edged and oddly shaped. The old fencing from the annexation project squats rusting on our patio, and that really has to go too, and soon. There's also the possibility of purchasing a peach tree to plant in the back yard, and I think our window of opportunity on that is narrowing quickly. But…it's a beautiful day. Seems a shame not to do it a little homage by reading on the back deck in the afternoon. Maybe it will be a grill-focused dinner this evening. We received our 2009 Best Recipes edition of Cooks Illustrated yesterday, I'm sure we'll find something inspiring amongst its pages. What a fine chore that will be.

Just typing that all up has made me feel like I've already accomplished a great deal today!

I think my other favorite time is towards the end of day like today--closing the windows and doors, turning the lights on, starting dinner. I'm not sure what about that is so comforting. Maybe just the nesting instinct welling up?

I'm dreaming more lately, and I'm not sure what that's about. Or maybe just more vividly, and therefore remembering them. They haven't all been pleasant, but for some reason I really enjoy them, cat warts (poor Veronica, she was covered with them!) and all. Maybe it's just pleasure at squeezing one more creative experience into the day without any additional conscious effort on my part.

M and I treated ourselves to a really nice dinner out last night. We do a horrendous amount of take-out, far more than we should, but haven't actually had a real restaurant experience in a while. And this one was very satisfying--good service, which we're becoming very picky about for some reason, good food, and not outrageously priced. It was a little loud, but we sat together on the banquette side enjoying being close, admiring our many dishes (we were very hungry, so that may have contributed to the satisfaction level), watching the ebb and flow of staff and patrons. I do love people-watching.

Knitting report: I've finished a couple of booties to match the devil hat, but they're very different sizes since I was experimenting with that, so will have to whip up two to match in time for the shower next month. I've also got to continue to make headway on the dress. After a false start with the fancy border--I didn't convert the pattern right to take into account that I was using circular needles, which was going to be fine until I discovered after it was completed that I had twisted at the join, resulting in an interesting but unusable moebius-strip-like creation--I got it mostly right, and now just have to buckle down and get through the monotony of stockinette for a bit.


6 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, March 28, 2010, Blogger bren said...

A knitted dress...what a lovely idea.ot6teryn

 
At 5:20 PM, March 29, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the knitting

 
At 6:48 PM, March 29, 2010, Blogger suzanne said...

Are you still knitting, Ryan?

 
At 11:26 AM, March 30, 2010, Blogger elm said...

The picture of your back yard is soo beautiful! You would never know there was a wire fence and parking lot somewhere. The peach tree sounds perfect.

 
At 4:53 PM, March 31, 2010, Blogger K2 said...

I love the Mobius strip. Wouldn't a fatter one make a great scarf? Did you dismantle it?

 
At 8:27 AM, April 02, 2010, Blogger suzanne said...

I was going to pull it out, but didn't have the heart to, I'd put so much time into it. Not sure what I'll do with it, but perhaps some project will come along!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home