Sunday, February 07, 2010

Trigger: Pulled

After months of comparisons and mulling, we did it. Well, M did: Yesterday, on the way back from picking up the TV console I had ordered last month from the Macys in Novato, we detoured to Best Buy and picked up a shiny new 40" TV. We watched "Million Dollar Baby" on it last night--such a change after six months of consuming shows on the laptop! They didn't have the right Blu-ray player--M wants the same brand as the TV, a Samsung, so we don't have to use two remotes and apparently Samsung is phasing their current models before introducing a new one, so we'll have to make do with our regular DVD player for a bit. I think we can manage. The console took months to find, but it's worth it--it's the right color wood, the right dimensions (barely--the door has only about a quarter inch of clearance), and it looks like the last books and DVDs will just fit. Whew. We've made some good finishing-touches strides in the past couple of weeks around the house, and that makes me feel better.

I'm happy to report that the knitting class had its intended effect and I've picked up Myla's blanket project again. Progress is being made! If all goes well, it should be done before she's actually too old for blankies. Another stimulus was finding an adorable baby dress pattern that I'd like to try, and there's no way I could start that without finishing the blanket first. Smaller, more manageable projects are a great thing about knitting projects for kids…

I notice a funny dynamic in my gym class now and again. Most of my classmates are women, but we have a few men joining us every once in a while. There's one young man who comes who also plays in a band and is very good about letting people in the class know when and where he's playing. There's one gal in the class who I can tell tries to get his attention. It's made a little more painful because she's a bit strident about it. (Maybe she can't help it, she's just loud-ish, pushy-ish in general--she's the lawyer who was disdainful when I asked if she had graduated from M's alma mater.) He's polite--he wants her to come to his shows--but focuses instead on the teacher, Skipper's human doppelganger. Just as he gives the lawyer the brush off and turns his googly gaze to Skipper, attempting to coax a commitment out of her that she'll come to the show, she gently gives him the same treatment, smiling and answering vaguely, but not reciprocating his interest. I wonder if the parties involved are aware of this same chain of desire.

Well, the neighborly music has cranked up, so Superbowl preparations are officially underway. M and I are going to a friend's apartment--he's having a small party, the same place and people where we watched the championship game. Which means I won't really know many people there, but once more into the social breach. The weather is gorgeous today and perfectly clear for the first time in months. Time to walk the dog before the party and enjoy the sunshine while I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home