Friday, November 08, 2013

More Traveling!

We're off to England today! M's first trip to Europe. We're very excited.

Before I go, a quick post about my New York #2 visit.

It was briefer than before but I had a fine time. The Manhattan Madhus were in town, so I had the comfort of having dinner with them on the Sunday evening. Even more wonderful--Aunt Janice and Uncle Madhu were in town too! It was great seeing them all. I was lame and did not take any pictures that evening. It went by too quickly. Junu was a dinner guest as well and we took the 6 train together for a bit after dinner. It was one of those perfect subway rides--as you slide the Metrocard in the turnstile, the train arrives.































Other than the family dinner, I didn't get much time for extracurricular activities. I did some walking in Central Park with a colleague. I had a work-dinner on the "future of marketing" with some at the chic DBGB Kitchen in the Bowery. Very nice food. That got me downtown, which was nice. The dinner went late, but there was a work party happening just south of Washington Square, so I walked over for a brief visit. It was nostalgic to wander the familiar streets at night.

I had the whole weekend at home. We celebrated the time change with a very long motorcycle ride on Saturday. We took in some spectacular views from Cazadero Road and Meyers Grade, then along the coast and home along Coleman Valley Road. We had great visibility that day. We also stopped more often than we usually do, both for pictures and exploring. How many decades have I passed Russian Gulch and never stopped? It was an interesting walk to that beach through a Hobbit-like forest and undergrowth. We also stopped for coffee in Jenner, sitting with the other tourists listening to a flamenco guitarist, trying to fend off the strong sunshine bouncing off the mouth of the Russian River. It was a very pleasant day.


OK, time to pack and get the house ready for our dog sitter.

I leave you with a poem I wrote on my New York #1 visit. Not done yet, but you get the idea.

Vickie, New York

Every time I return
I search for you
among the eddies of
pedestrians in the city where
we were born as women together.

Are you here?
Do you ever think of me
as you make your way upstream
along the streets we shared?
I can't remember the last
time I saw you with eyes rather
than dreams. You haunt me living.

Every time I return
I will the world to let me
into the orbit of your arms again.
This poem is a prayer
that once again I will meet
you at the corner of 9th & 44th
or opening the door to Veselka
for buckwheat pancakes.
I am convinced I am missing you by one
minute, block, mile, continent, life.
I know you're here somewhere.

Bell captain whistles
cab horns grunt the breath of this city.
The fan blows impotent air in my hotel room.
Out the window, is that you? I know
you're here
somewhere.



5 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, November 10, 2013, Blogger Brenda said...

I loved your poem. Where is Vickie....she must know of your poem in her heart.

 
At 8:11 AM, November 10, 2013, Blogger Sara said...

Sometimes I look for her too. It was great to see you.

 
At 2:21 PM, November 12, 2013, Blogger Kamala! said...

Have you looked for her on FB? I feel as if you have such feelings of regret over the loss of your friendship; you should search her out.

 
At 12:49 AM, November 13, 2013, Blogger suzanne said...

Yes, I've found her on FB--we have a number of friends in common. She was recently featured in HONY! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=482797291794376&set=a.102107073196735.4429.102099916530784&type=1" data-width="550"

 
At 12:50 AM, November 13, 2013, Blogger suzanne said...

Sorry, here's a better link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=482797291794376

 

Post a Comment

<< Home