Monday, August 29, 2005

Cali-versary

So it's been seven years since my somewhat triumphant return to the Left Coast. I'm trying to recall my expectations, my dreams of how life would be settled down here. I don't know that I really had any--is that memory loss convenient, or do I just prefer not to think too deeply about it? Perhaps I choose not to remember too many details precisely because it was just the opposite of triumphant--moving out of New York was not exactly my idea, and the cost of living there sort of shouted "don't let the door hit you on the ass" as I exited. And while I returned to family and a certain familiarity with the landscape, I had to start over in so many ways. Particularly in my so-called career, which was a humbling experience. Though perhaps that's not such a bad thing.

*****

It IS different: I bought my first post-nuptial issue of Martha Stewart Living Weddings and, somewhat sadly, I report it just wasn't the same experience. I did have numerous "My dress was sooo much nicer!" moments. But the little future fantasies I used to indulge in were--of course--gone. It's now all about the recipes, Good Things projects, and comparisons of actual events, not the wishbook it used to be. And I'm OK with that. Now, should I keep on purchasing MSLW issues just to continue to have a complete set? Stop now? Or give them all away to another bride-to-be who might cherish them as I did?

*****

Just a beautiful tree, is it not?

Oak, Victorian

1 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger Anonymous Me said...

That is a beautiful tree! And I liked the post about your Cali-versary. It seems like things turned out pretty well. What was your career in NY?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home