Sunday, January 20, 2008

Another Sunday Closes


A Shorter 'Do
Originally uploaded by suzipaw
It's early, but M and I are already ensconced in bed, laptops topping respective laps. We spent much of the late afternoon at a divish bar near the crossroads of our "tweaker town" (where the streetwalkers and crack addicts wander in quantity), watching the Giants beat the Packers. I was gently rooting for another win for Brett, but it was just good football all around and the Giants certainly deserved to win.

It's been a quiet weekend. I've been trying to get used to having an actual hairdo, which has been a bit trying, but I think once I get the hang of the curling iron it will be better. I may try to schedule a little tutorial with my stylist. The haircut was a pleasant experience overall, though it took *hours*--another stylist dropped by and the two gals talked shop, as in beauty shop, which for me was a peek into a different world. I felt distinctly lacking in lacquer in their presence and old to boot, but I did get a bit of a chuckle at their parting conversation where they discussed, sans irony, the one stylist's desire to color her hair a more natural color. What was wrong with her actual natural color? I wondered. She couldn't have been older than 22 or 23. My stylist also spent an inordinate amount of time adjusting and measuring the braids before snipping them off, the spirit of which I did appreciate. And because there had been so much talking, I felt comfortable asking her all kinds of stupid questions about styling technique, which I had never been able to do in prior haircut situations. And she really took her time cutting and styling my hair, and though in some ways it felt ridiculous and vain, as I left the shop with my hair bouncing, I also felt a little sassier. Maybe I really did want to believe the other stylist's assertion that shorter hair looks younger. Anyway, we'll see how I adjust to the new look. I did get a bit let down when I ran into a co-worker at Trader Joe's and he didn't even notice! It did balance M's reaction, I suppose--he was upset, but is bearing up well.

I made good progress on my slippers yesterday, did a little bit of work, started the rose pruning process, gave myself the gift of a classy new computer travel bag when shopping for gym togs at Ross, and since M was gone all afternoon at a Bar review meeting, took myself to see Sweeney Todd. Now there's a move with a whole lotta gore. I enjoyed it though. (Another movie I really enjoyed recenty was La Vie en Rose, btw. Like The Glass Castle, a story that made any childhood woes I had very insignificant.)

Tomorrow, M and I are going to go to his school--he'll study, I'll work. I downloaded some software updates today and didn't let it finish properly, so for a while there I couldn't get into Word or my work email, and I was feeling the onslaught of another small meltdown--I would be really, truly in bad shape at work on Tuesday if I don't chip away at things tomorrow. But then I did another download, we went to watch the game, and when I came back everything was fine. So goody, I get to work on a holiday! But I remind myself that I have a job that pays the bills and lets me interact with people I truly enjoy. I'm still keeping the lush tomato bush of my new year's horoscope in my mind's eye--the idea of thriving and producing beautiful, juicy fruit is helping me find a balance. And with that, I think I'll start a new book, The Namesake.

9 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, January 21, 2008, Blogger Michelle said...

I love your new "do"!

 
At 8:22 AM, January 21, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do I!

 
At 8:28 AM, January 21, 2008, Blogger Mark said...

Love it!

 
At 9:30 AM, January 21, 2008, Blogger K2 said...

You look fancy.

 
At 7:31 AM, January 22, 2008, Blogger R. B. Patrascu said...

Could you BE any cuter?
I think not. Very smart, very sexxy, very beautiful.

 
At 2:26 PM, January 22, 2008, Blogger Kamala! said...

It is so cute-I look forward to seeung it in person in Feb. Looks like it would also look great as a smooth, boblike thing. I am in a rut, never change my hair, but not sure I could deal w/ any styling requirements.

 
At 7:41 PM, January 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great look! And I share all your feelings about the actual process of getting one's hair cut!

 
At 4:29 PM, January 24, 2008, Blogger Kamala! said...

The Namesake is such a great book! I almost feel envious that you are reading it for the first time. Also loved the movie , but was glad to have read the book first.

 
At 9:42 PM, January 24, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

WOW look at you! I think you look fabulous. (And no I am not just saying that as a former longhair-converted-to-shorthair myself.) I can't wait to see it in person! :)

Julia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home