Wednesday, July 06, 2005

In Praise of the Boobtube

So one thing about being mostly in hotels the past two weeks: I watched a lot (relatively speaking) of TV. Wimbledon was in session, and seeing Lindsay and Amelie duking it out--quietly, I might add, unlike Venus and Maria--kept me up until after 1:00 a.m. last Thursday night. There was also the memorable Iron Chef doubles match with fish. The Food Network was definitely an inspiration for me.

And then there was The Education of Shelby Knox, a show I had read about and was interested in seeing, so it good timing. Or Fate? Or did God want me to watch it?

One of my favorite lines was spoken by her pastor when she turned to him for understanding: "Christianity is one of the most intolerant religions on earth, Shelby. And I'm hearing tolerance from you. And that's not good." Her voiceover in the next scene as she's driving away from this meeting: "Jesus wasn't intolerant. Why should I be?"

When did intolerance become such a virtue and when did it become an article of Christian faith? Any what's happening in this nation that seems to point to intolerance, on many levels, being on the rise? I'm feeling that same intolerance towards evangelical Christians that I'm sensing from them--though on an institutional level rather than a personal one, as I don't mix with evangelicals much.

I've been carrying a draft of a God Blog around for months, and I was thinking this would be time to just let fly with some God-related thoughts, in no particular order--but M advised that I really put some essay effort into it before posting. And so I will, perhaps this weekend.

*****

It's a hot day. Many chores have already been accomplished, including washing the stinky dog, who now lolls damp on my feet as I write this blog on the bed. I can hear M in the tub, expectorating, again. (He went to the doctor, again, and he's apparently just supposed to eat Advil and hope the infection clears within ten days. If not, he has to return--what will the doc do then, I wonder??)

*****

From the photo vault, circa 1968.

Suzi '68

2 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, July 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 years before I was born.

 
At 7:50 AM, July 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a very dear little child!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home