Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Numbers, Signs of the Times, Misc

Tuesday morning is garbage day for us. (Maybe we need a new name for it, something more hopeful, positive.) As I was getting into my car to drive into work that day this week, I noticed something I haven't seen often since living in NY--bottle-pickers. Two guys were working the recycling bins on our street, pulling out the deposit containers and putting them in large black bags in the back of a small pickup. It's just the two of us, so we don't put our recycling container out every week, including this one. I was in my car, turning the key, and decided to practice tuning into my impulses more, particularly the inklings to be more generous. So I went back into the house, gathered all of our redemption-worthy cans and bottles and gave it to the guys. Wasn't sure if they'd be receptive, but they seemed happy to get the fifty cents or so.

We're thinking about refinancing our mortgage. The rates are low. Should we get money out to put into a down payment for a new place? Seems like now is the time to buy. Or just hunker down with a lower monthly commitment? Would we even be granted another mortgage? The debate continues.


ciabatta
Originally uploaded by suzipaw
It was a rewarding but labor intensive culinary experience on Sunday afternoon. Baked ziti, ciabatta, many hours in the making. M crafted baked chicken breasts with a pan reduction sauce, his new interest. It was quite the dance the two of us had to perform in our tiny kitchen and we had to wash dishes in the middle of it, just not enough room in there for all of us.

Romance novel word count: 13,289. We wrote with Rebecca on Sunday morning. It was so good to see her up and about.

I don't know how many inches of rain we've been dazzled with lately, but it's been a lot. Maybe not enough, but it's a good start.

This morning before gym class, I was trying to be friendly and joined a conversation with a gal who was lamenting that she had just been let go after ten months at a temporary job. She was just beginning her career, she noted, and they had hired someone with more experience who was willing to work for a lower wage. "My husband is in the same boat," I sympathized. What did she do? I inquired. You guessed it: Attorney was her reply. So is my husband! I tried to sound enthusiastic, but here was out and out competition. Did she go to Empire? I tried to continue the conversation. Was that a dismissive note in her no? And where did that chill wind suddenly spring from?

We'll watch our last disc of The Wire this week. I'm sorry we'll be done with the series, it's like we'll be moving out of Balmer.

Finally, a shout-out to Mark on his new job at Mobywrap!

3 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, February 26, 2009, Blogger Michelle said...

Way to go on your word count! And the bread looks wonderful.

 
At 9:20 AM, February 28, 2009, Blogger bren said...

I think that it is time to check out the housing market for something good. Owning real property if you can afford it is better than a piece of paper. It is extra work, of course, but you guys seem ready.

 
At 11:55 AM, March 07, 2009, Blogger elm said...

Well, I agree with Bren on the house. Regarding garbage, I have always thought it a small miracle- someone takes what I don't want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home