Sunday, February 15, 2009

Total Eclipse of the Heart*


Rex, oak
Originally uploaded by suzipaw
We drove up the coast to Gualala yesterday to fetch Rex and had lunch there with Mom and Don. It was good to see them, a nice Valentine's Day treat, and Rex seemed happy to see us. (There were unusually large flocks of seagulls at Jenner and at the river mouth just outside the windows of the restaurant where we ate and it put me in mind of "The Birds." Very disconcerting. Glad we weren't driving home through Bodega, where the movie was filmed.)

Instead, we took a narrow windy road over the mountains home, which was a pleasant change of pace. It was all green and gray: storm clouds thick overhead, bare oaks branches tinseled with silvery green moss, their trunks wearing a luxurious grass colored version, contrasting with the evergreen stands of redwoods. Shocks of pink and white fruit tree blossoms stood out near the few homes along the way. As we drew closer to the main highway, bright yellow canals of mustard flowed in between the twisty black grape stumps in the old vineyards. I'm lucky to be in a place with such amazing landscapes.

While he was glad to see us, I think Rex is very sad to not be up on the coast with his grandparents anymore. Apparently he was feted with wieners, turkey, and walks on the beach just about every day he was there. How can we compete with that? Except for perking up when Veronica was served her evening tuna, he remained curled in a tight ball on the bed all afternoon and evening. M and I will be gone for quite awhile today (he has job applications to work on, I've got that novel thing) and I know that won't help his melancholy. Ah well.

*You may remember this as Rex's theme song.

*****

Rebecca is home from her surgery and on the mend! The procedure went very well and the recipient is also recovering well. I'm so awed and inspired by her generosity. Get well soon!

8 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, February 15, 2009, Blogger bren said...

After driving home from meeting you with Rex, I walked in the house after putting the car in the garage and Don was talking to Rex as if he was still there as he was lighting the fire!

 
At 11:28 AM, February 15, 2009, Blogger Kamala! said...

Can you spell anthropomorphasize, Suz?! (I can't-I had to look it up). Glad to hear about the good outcomes of the surgery.

 
At 12:26 PM, February 15, 2009, Blogger suzanne said...

I'm not anthropomorphizing (thx for looking it up!), believe me. I used to think that too, when Mur would tell me how he had a hard time leaving the house each morning, since Rex seemed to be on the verge of tears whenever he got out of the shower. Until I got that look when I got out of the shower one day, and it really did look like the dog was about to weep. I'm not saying he has every human emotion, but he's deeply attached to his pack, I'm telling ya.

 
At 6:53 AM, February 16, 2009, Blogger bren said...

I'm glad Rebecca and Mark are doing so well. What an amazing gift.

 
At 1:58 PM, February 17, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, what's your email? I wanted to ask about Meg Cabot...

 
At 2:32 PM, February 17, 2009, Blogger suzanne said...

Hey Rachael, it's saxtellATgmailDOTcom. Look forward to hearing from you!

 
At 5:06 PM, February 21, 2009, Blogger Kamala! said...

Am beginning to share Kalyani's worries about facebook surmounting the blogs. However I know you've been on FB for a long time, so I'm sure that's not the reason you haven't blogged in a while.There must be some other reason. I love my word verification this time-nutbaine. ( A hero squirrel, perhaps).

 
At 10:11 PM, March 07, 2010, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home