Sunday, March 15, 2009

Recovering from San Jose

It was a good show, but a taxing one. I don't usually attend the evening events since that makes for very long days, but did on Wednesday night, a high tech cello performance:



Yes, that's glimpses of me, interpretive dancing (the cellist, Zoe Keating, actually encouraged us to come up to the front using that phrase, which I think was pretty funny--sort of gave us license to be goofy) with a gal who in her day job is a venture capitalist. The other part that was nice about attending this performance was I brought the baby blanket knitting project and actually found a gal in the audience who was crocheting and we sat together, working our yarn, sipping horribly overpriced hotel wine, and listening to the wonderful music. Here's another song during the performance that shows the screen--there was an amazing laser-thing set up in the room (you can see it at about 45 seconds into the embedded video) that captured the whole room in 3D.

I also went out to a swanky-ish mall with a work friend one night for some recreational shopping. We spent a couple of hours fondling the new spring styles, which seemed to consist mostly of tops made of thin tshirt material with clever tucks and decoration around the neckline. I observed a phenomenon alien to my day-to-day life--husbands shopping with their wives. Not just standing around looking bored holding on to her handbag--they were actually flipping through the racks, picking out clothes, bringing them to the dressing room. Very odd.

I came home Thursday night and was back in the office on Friday. I left at lunchtime, however, and met M downtown to see his new office digs. The office space is indeed very lawyerly, all wood paneling, leather chairs, and a library chockablock with thick tomes--even the cubicles are polished wood and glass rather that the usual fabric. We went out to lunch and I envied his two-minute commute from our house that takes him to a place where he can do business, run errands, and grab meals within a short walking distance. He had a good first week. We're both really glad he's shifting into fulltime attorney work. I didn't get to meet many of his co-workers (which is good, I wasn't happy with my attire), but there's a little mixer next Friday, so I'll have the chance to hopefully make a favorable impression then.

I've spent the rest of the weekend doing chores and relaxing, working on the blanket, reading the new Martha Stewart and yet another in the Sookie Stackhouse book series. I also started a new knitting project last night--a "moebius" strip scarf/shrug that I think will be nice during transition weather. It's just garter stitch. so a good mindless project while watching TV. I'm making it out of ocean-colored mohair that I picked up ages ago at a thrift store, and am proud of myself for continuing on "stash busting" projects rather than buying more yarn--though I'd probably be able to wear it more if were black.

Not sure what today holds. It rained a little last night (though we also got the water rationing notification in the mail yesterday, that won't be fun this summer) and hopefully will again today, so maybe a matinee at our local indie movie house. Maybe errands--we need a paper shredder and to get M's diploma and Bar certificate framed to hang in his new office. How I love the quiet Sunday!

2 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, March 15, 2009, Blogger Kamala! said...

So nice to have you posting more frequently! When you say ocean colored, do you mean aqua, grey or dark blue? Or possibly another color?
Word verification is another good one-thenhumb-perhaps a character from the Brothers Grimm.

 
At 12:47 PM, March 16, 2009, Blogger elm said...

The cello music, nice, you dancing, also nice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home