Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Burlingame or Bust


SFO
Originally uploaded by suzipaw.
The first conference of 2006. At a hotel perched on the bay just south of SFO. The sound of planes in various stages of flight is everywhere, the aviation respiration of landing and take-off, white noise. Spring-like weather can be seen from the large lobby lounge windows--we've had a couple of fine clear days.

M and I drove down early, with the plan to stop at Filoli, but I neglected to read the part where they are closed for the winter. Well, not the best time of year to visit gardens anyway. We spent the afternoon in the hotel, watching football, free of home chores and pets with eyes that beg for attention. I missed him more than usual when he left.

Coming to the conference a little earlier than I normally do gave me a chance to adjust more gradually. I took a walk along the bay path the first morning, read the paper and watched a little TV before starting work yesterday, and later a friend and I did a little afternoon shopping (cheap earrings, purple cashmere socks, silver eye shadow pencil, 75% off Christmas ornaments) in the decidedly upscale part of town. I had a hard time sleeping last night, but feel ok today, though not up to going back into town for dinner, so I'm blogging here in the hotel lobby, waiting for a glass of sauvignon blanc and a decent hour to ascend to bed.

Blah, blah, blog. Sorry, boring stuff. I guess I feel like it's a bit of a work merry-go-round--same ol' template of time spent, just slightly different players in a slightly different setting. I don't have enough energy or inquisitiveness to seek out many new adventures when I travel, though sometimes I blame that on the lack off sass at the destination. Burlingame for instance--hardly high on my list of places I've been wanting to explore. I bet there's good food here at least and that's always an experience worth seeking, but I expect my last dinner for this event will be composed of appetizers at our various receptions tonight...

1 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, January 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And if you were wondering, no I don't miss it (but I miss the people ... is Nat really that thin?)

Hope you're having a marvelous time :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home