Saturday, June 10, 2006

Congrats, Brandon!


the graduate with his aunties
Originally uploaded by suzipaw.
So my nephew made it through grammar school and is on to high school. He wasn't on his tiptoes in the photo--he really is as tall as me now. Sigh. More photos here.

I had a really lovely, swift trip up to the graduation--or "promotion" as it's called in 8th grade. It was a crappy time to take a day off of work, what with the conference coming up next week, but considering how that conference interfered with my wedding last year, I didn't think much about it.

I managed to arrange a little time with almost everyone--I dropped my car off in Chico and rode to Redding with my dad, stepmom, and other nephew. Since we arrived in Redding a little early, I was able to spend a little time with my brother and graduating nephew. A nice dinner before the ceremony with extended family and friends. (Didn't get much time with my stepbrother there, unfortunately. Nor the Italian underwear model that my brother's mother-in-law was hosting.) Back to my brother's place after the ceremony for visiting with both brothers and both parents, something that doesn't happen very often. A little wine and chitchat, mom distributed goodies from China. Then back to Chico with my other brother and his family to spend the night.

The next morning I dropped my brother off at his work, then parked in downtown Chico on my way out of town. Bought coffee and a muffin, then walked over to the Stansbury Home, where M and I married nearly a year ago. It wasn't open, but I was able to sit in the little rose garden, sipping coffee, thinking about the wedding. I remember that I felt stressed out this time last year, trying to get everything done--but those thoughts are fading. It's mostly just happiness surrounding the wedding memories now, a little glow thinking about how many friends and family were able to join us, all those arrangements and aggravations a shrinking footnote. Think I'll take a look through the wedding photo set again.

It's early in the morning, chilly and overcast, Veronica warm and purring on my lap. I have chores to do (including washing the Monster Mobile--there's something about owning a Cadillac that makes me feel more obligated to keep it clean), work email to answer, and I have to pack for the trip to San Jose. M is off fishing yet again, Rex with him, thankfully saving me from his sulking when M leaves without him. It's good to feel the day stretching before me. There might even be a nap in there somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home