Sunday, August 13, 2006

Camping Countdown

The camping equipment is being liberated from its Sterlite sarcophagi. It's been two years, and smells it. Most of the battery-operated lamps are still throwing off a bit of a glow. After watching "Deadwood" these last few weeks, I'm more grateful than ever for the advent of plastics, from garbage bags to air mattresses to woven rugs. And to the prospect of hot showers after a grimy five days on the lake. But most of all I'm looking forward to the lack of laptop. I want to be able to resist checking my work email after camping is done. I hope that I can. Nine days without being in touch with work…what an amazing concept. I haven't seen the ocean in months--maybe that should be another vacation activity for when I return. Though we have high hopes to have the carpets cleaned…

Summer is winding down, I can tell. It's almost dark now at 8:30 p.m. The wedges of geese continue to strafe the back deck with their honking. I can hear M in the garage, reciting his notes for finals next week, and an owl behind him, and the crickets above all. The naked ladies have emerged along the back fence, their pink periscopes opening in slow succession to four petaled eyes. I ate four Gold Pearl tomatoes today. And hostessed Rebecca and Julia--they came chez moi for a writing date and stayed for many happy hours. I worked on a work assignment rather than a creative one, but it might help me sleep better tonight.

And speaking of that, time to make preparations for the day ahead.

Good night.

1 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, August 15, 2006, Blogger R. B. Patrascu said...

Thank you for hosting us, too! It was a lovely time. Wonderful food, perfect lattes, and splendid company!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home