Sunday, April 03, 2005

More on Elwin


My great grandpa and great uncle
Originally uploaded by suzipaw.
I talked to my grandma today, and mentioned that I had been reading Elwin's autograph book, enjoying Aunt Hellen's recommendation in particular.

"I don't think he took that advice," laughed grandma.

"No?"

"No, I think his mother washed his mouth out with soap several times." We both giggled. I tried to imagine German great great grandma Louisa shoving a big homemade bar of soap into Elwin's mouth.

"It's funny," mused grandma, "Elwin didn't swear til he moved into town." (My grandfather's family squatted in a godawful godforsaken piece of land so far out of town that a trip in was a semi-annual event. Maybe.) "Then, he started hanging out at the pool hall and took up swearing."

Well, that'll do it.

(M, will you be mad if I say you bear a vague resemblance to Elwin?)

1 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, April 06, 2005, Blogger R. B. Patrascu said...

I love the picture! Thanks for putting a face to Elwin.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home