Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Goodbye, January

I've been busy, traveling, wrassling with a two-day low-level headache. Missed reading my blogs, looking at Flickr, spending time at home with a fat black hairy cat on my lap. But now I'm back, family successfully visited, some photos posted, clock ticking off the seconds until I have to go to bed. (I've started my new work schedule--for some reason I've been enjoying coming to work later and leaving work earlier these past couple of days, but I dread going to work tomorrow. Huh, imagine that. But I think it will be good. I set my alarm clock for 6:30 this morning. 6:30, pure luxury!)


with Dad and Bran apres game
Originally uploaded by suzipaw.
I had a great, short visit with my family. I saw my nephew play a game and half of basketball--his team won both games. Cheered on my cheerleading niece. She modeled her prom dress for us, and I marveled at her amazing closet. Hung out with my Dad and my younger brother and his wife. Spent some quality time with my older brother and his wife and son, who, at the tender age of six, is already planning his first full length feature film, his interpretation of "Star Wars." It's never enough time, but maybe it's good to leave wanting more.

*****

So I've only just recently come to the realization that Flickr has a six-month limit on photos with the free account. I'm a dork, I know. (That's the second time today I've had to admit to being a dork, not pretty for Virgo me). If I go pro on Flickr, will all my posted photos return? I have to figure that out.

*****

On the way home from the interior I was fascinated by an interview on This American Life with a woman, raised Protestant, who married a man with five other wives. He has a total of eight now. The idea of communal marriage flabbergasts me, but she was very cool and persuasive (though she is a lawyer, thanks in part to the other wives who supported her and helped raise her son while she was in school). Maybe that's part of what continues to pique me about the interview--her matter of factness on a topic that's usually so passionate.

Also on the way home I spotted a tree in bloom, cherry I think, and my heart was gladdened. I have a lot to look forward to in February. More blooming trees, for instance, and longer days. I'm ushering a couple of good shows (Lucinda Williams why didn't I buy tickets?, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy), taking a sewing class, seeing/hearing Jane Hirschfeld read at a book store just up the street, having coffee with a friend I haven't seen in months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home